Heavily oxidized cordless tool battery contacts
I applied DeoxIT® several times to some heavily oxidized (blue/green) cordless tool battery contacts and wiped with a cloth. I was left with a black discoloration of the copper color contacts. Should I ignore this discoloration or would I get less resistance if I removed it, because I at least have electrical contact now?
If I should remove it, would you recommend fine emery paper or some other method? To prevent continual oxidation, I will try the DeoxIT® GOLD. Can you tell me if this is better than silicone dielectric grease, and if it is, can you tell me why?
A color change after applying DeoxIT is normal. It means the DeoxIT is working. For optimum results, wipe off contaminants after each application of DeoxIT. On severely oxidized surfaces, you may have to leave DeoxIT on overnight. After wiping the surface with a lint-free cloth a few times, there should be no discoloration. As a final step, apply either DeoxIT, DeoxIT GOLD or DeoxIT SHIELD, depending on the environment.
Refer to our Mentor Card booklet for additional info: http://www.caig.com/pdf/MentorCards_2006_av.pdf
Concerning your question about the silicone dielectric grease or any grease, we recommend using a grease only as a topical barrier for protection from severe weathering or when mechanical lubrication is needed. For example, if a contact or connector is exposed to the elements, say an antenna connection or electrical connection on a boat/ship, we recommend the following procedure:
Apply DeoxIT® and repeat, as stated above, until the surface is clean. Then apply DeoxIT® SHIELD to seal in and protect the contact surface. As a final step, apply DeoxIT® L260Np or M260Np grease.